Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

DEAR JANE QUILT - (where Janiacs go to post!)

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
Luv_2Qlt

Re: DEAR JANE QUILT - (where Janiacs go to post!)

Post by Luv_2Qlt » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:13 am

Hi everyone
I was mesmerized by this quilt about 6 years ago. There was something about this quilt that kept drwing me to it, so I joined a BOM and received blocks for 2 years. I opened every package that came and just looked at the fabric and pattern and then put everything back into the envelop. Because of other projects I had going on I haven't started "Jane" yet. Last Sept I went to Bennington VT where the quilt was displayed, I just had to see "the quilt"! I thought the quilt was just gorgeous BUT the blocks weren't as small as I expected. I expected four inch blocks like everything I've read about the blocks but they looked bigger than four inches. I bought a box of note cards from the gift shop at the museum and even on the back of the box it says those block measure five inches. I would like to hear from anyone that has made th trip to VT to see Janes quilt. Good luck to everyone that has started the quilt blocks, the pictures you've added to this thread are just beautiful!!! I'm still so taken with that quilt and am anxious to get started on it.
I love tis thread!!
Val

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:48 pm

i'm just 'sew' jealous! i would LOVE to see this quilt!!!
i suppose 'in those days' ladies of a certain class would sit and sew and 'wait' for their men to come back from war... a challenge like this would help you from going crazy with worry! maybe it did help her do the opposite, and kept her sane!! lol...
i must admit, i'm really enjoying making these 'wee' blocks... i've made a few more, i will post pics tomorrow...

val, get those envelopes out and have a play!!! we'd love to see them!!

love jacquie xxxx

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:31 pm

wow, girls, your blocks are all so pretty! Carole, I had to go look up B-6. It's quite a challenge! It's not on my to-do-soon list. I'm going through the book and choosing blocks that look simplest to me to do first. Are you doing them in order? I got 2=1/2 more done this afternoon. Twenty and counting!

As for sizes, my pieced blocks are turning out about 4-1/2 to 4-3/4". But my appl. blocks are larger because I purposely make them larger. I'll prune them all when I figure I'm done.

I'm considering black sashing. What's everyone else's thoughts?

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:04 am

in the 'dj' sew along i'm in, we make 3 blocks per week, so here are my last 2 weeks that i've put together...
B2, B3, B10

[/img]

A3, B12, BR1

[/img]

mellomayking

Post by mellomayking » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:49 am

Wow, Jacquie, you are zipping right along. You'll be finished in no time! Great job on the blocks.

Mel

Ittybittygma

Post by Ittybittygma » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:49 am

Wow Jacquie, those are so neat. Three a week? You will be done in a yr or two. LOL I may just have to try a few of these when I get moved into a house. They do look like fun but I will indeed come up with some shortcuts of my own. I like the colors you are choosing. So bright and cheery. Will be a delightful quilt when you get it all finished.

I am fascinated with those cirle ones and the pedals ones. Keep the pics coming. I love the inspiration and smiles they bring as I look at each one. Carole and MaryZ how are you doing on yours? Anyone else started on one yet?

God bless you all as you quilt. If someone named Jane made these many many many yrs ago without all of todays tools and shortcuts, surely we can do a few too. LOL Hugs, Shirley Mae

XS&QLTS

Post by XS&QLTS » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:23 pm

My guild is starting a DJ quilt to raffle off at our fall quilt show next year. Each member is to make several blocks. I will be following this discussion closely for the advice, inspiration and "push" to complete my share! and I'll post photos...

Ittybittygma

Post by Ittybittygma » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:47 pm

XS&Qlts, Welcome. Haven't seen you post before but then I have been having wifi problems lately. What a wonderful idea to have everyone in a guild do some blocks to make a DJ quilt. Can't wait to see what you all come up with. And yes, please do post some pics.

I will be moving into a house the 1st of March so I will have the room to finally begin doing some serious quilting again. Motorhomes were never built for sewing or anything that requires much space. Can't wait to start on some of these blocks. Keep posting pics, ladies. I need all the inspiration I can get.

Hugs, Shirley Mae

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:42 pm

here are my two blocks (should i say tri's) for this week, these were fiddly, but needed precise lining up... mmm, i think i'm happy with them lol...
i'm loving the colours altogether! now the blocks are starting to mount up on my wall, i can't wait to see them altogether finished!!! it's a shame our schedule says september next year :(
ho hum! keep on sewing!! lol...
(TR3, TR1)
[/img]

mellomayking

Post by mellomayking » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:55 pm

These are lovely, Jacquie. Love the orange and green.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”