Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

DEAR JANE QUILT - (where Janiacs go to post!)

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
purrfect-lady

Re: DEAR JANE QUILT - (where Janiacs go to post!)

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:26 am

swssms, I never back my quilts with muslin. I just feel it isn't the quality fabric that the front of my quilts are. I dont' think it will stand up to use and age like the front and I personally just don't like the looks of it. Plus, you can often see through it.

What use do you plan for your "Jane"? Will it go on a bed? Hang on a wall? Or be a snuggle quilt on a couch? If I plan to really use a quilt, I like to back with flannel to give that extra cozy factor. And it helps to keep it in place on a bed or couch. But many folks prefer cotton. You can buy 'fat-backs' from various shops, on-line sites, and ads in the back of quilting magazines. You could make a back using scraps leftover from your quilt. . . Or you could make piece an entirely different quilt top for the back so you'd have a 'twofer'. I've used all those methods.

We'd LOVE to see photos!!! Do share! and tell us what you decide.

carole

Post by carole » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:52 am

Boy, it has been a very long time since someone has been on this site. When I get back home (I am just now returning from an FMCA Rally n Indio, CA) I plan on getting back with Jane. I still have all the side pieces to make and I am not sure but I think just a few of the inner blocks. Can you tell that it has been a long time since I let her out of the box.

Carole

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:35 pm

Jane has been in my closet for several months. I need to get her out again soon.

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:29 am

I am ignorant...Just what is a Dear Jane quilt? I have seen them referred to here, but never had the nerve to ask..until now.

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:45 am

FlorenceM the easiest way to find out about the Dear Jane Quilt is to Google it. That is how I got to know "her". I am just getting started on mine but several of us have posted pictures of the blocks they already have done. It is time consuming and sometimes frustrating but it is addictive also.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:43 am

I finally got reacquainted with Jane yesterday. I made four blocks, - all in the 'B' row - #'s 2, 3, 8, & 11. I've chosen blocks at random (the easiest) so far, but now have Rows A and B complete. Whoo Hoo! I have a total of 94 finished. I think that leaves me with 75 5" blocks and all the triangle and corners one left to do. Piece of cake. NOT!! lol!!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:43 am

these really are pretty blocks... but I so see why she is crazy Jane..
Exodus 33:14

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:46 pm

Two more blocks done today. Whew! Took me almost 4 hours! These are only 5" blocks! I need a drink . . .

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:20 am

Sitting here in my trailer in Texas for a few weeks is the perfect sewing venue! Little blocks - little sewing space! And with little else to do I'm making good progress! My goal, after working two years on this quilt, is to have all the 5" blocks finished and sewn together before we leave here March 18th. I have 42 blocks left to make. So I've sort of got a race going with myself.

I'm not sure when I'll get to the outside triangle blocks. I don't seem to bring Jane out of the closet at home. She's my traveling companion.

Is anyone else actively working on their Janes?

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:26 pm

This evening I finished my LAST 5" block! Yay!! I did them all! Only took me three winters while traveling. I've got them all sewn together with black sashing. Tomorrow I hope to get some photos before I put it away until we're home from Texas. I still plan to make all the border triangle blocks - but I haven't tried one yet. We'll see how that goes . . .

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”