Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Baby bibs

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
quiltingangel

Baby bibs

Post by quiltingangel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:00 pm

Hello All, When making baby bibs, do you use cotton on from and back? Also, what kind of batting do you use in the middle. A friend told me she uses cotton on the front and flannel on the back. Also, what do you use to make burp cloths? Thank you so very much for your suggestions.

auntjana

Re: Baby bibs

Post by auntjana » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:53 pm

When I make baby bibs - I like terry cloth on the back - in fact I use hand towels with rib knit in the neck area - so they just slide on over the head - I decorate the towel with some embroidery from my machine.

Burp cloths - I have used flannel on both sides and flannel on one side and a diaper material on the other - or diaper flannel if you can find it.

It is pretty much what you have and want the look to be -

With the burp cloths - I use my sewing machine with a wing needle in it and stitch around the cloth - just wrong sides together - and then I crochet a shell edge on the outside. The crocheting holds everything together nicely.

Hope that this helps
Jana

xteacher

Post by xteacher » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:07 pm

For bibs, I have tried all of the above. I did woven cotton front and back and left out the batting, but I DID NOT like the looks of the quilting. So, I usually use a thin fleece batting like I do for table runners and wallhangings. Flannel would be good for front and/or back, but I don't like it as well after laundered. I've also done the terry cloth with ribbing. My favorite is two sides of co ordinated cotton, usually with a pretty rick rack in seam. I use a strip of soft velcro, and then it can be reversible. Oh, and then I free motion quilt or use a ruler or masking tape and make a grid. Then, I use prefolded diapers for burps. I fold the thinner sides in to meet the existing seams. I use a decorative stitch on my machine and seam the outside edge to that existing seam on both sides. Then, I will decorate with embroidery, monograms, pretty ribbon, or many times, a strip of the same cotton sewn at the bottom edge. Usually just on one end so the other end is softer.

quiltingangel

Post by quiltingangel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I am expecting my first great-grandchild in October and am hoping to get a head start on the bibs and burp cloths. Great suggestions from both of you.

jackofalltrades1988

Post by jackofalltrades1988 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:41 pm

Cotton is good. The milk often spills out from the bottle when my baby drinks. The bib saves me a lot of trouble - I now just need to clean the bottle with a baby bottle brush. Without the bib, I have to wash my baby's clothes.https://www.cfone.net/how-to-make-baby- ... clean.html

Michael_Walters

Post by Michael_Walters » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:18 am

Well, in most cases, cotton is great for most of these things just fine. Including for bibs. I recently had to use this material to redo the baby swing, I had to read the reviews http://jonsguide.org//best-top-ingenuit ... g-reviews/ first);

morgans4

Post by morgans4 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:32 pm

I make bibs and burp cloths both, out of terrycloth. I have used flannel for the back. Cotton isn't as absorbent as either of these. For bibs, I buy hand towels, cut a 4 1/2" hole (for a small one or 5 1/2" for a toddler) in the upper 1/3 and apply a matching or coordinating ribbing around the neck. The edges are already finished for you, so you don't have to have binding. You can get any holiday hand towels or sometimes I have embroidered or appliqued onto the bib. You can get great ideas from the free coloring pages you can find on Google. To machine embroidery, you have to put at least 1 layer of a stabilizer (I use water soluble) on the terry to hold down all the little frizzy things that you don't want standing up.
For burp cloths, I cut a pattern that looked similar to an hourglass. I did make these out of flannel. Instead of binding them, I used a corresponding piece of flannel, right sides together, and left a turning space in one end. The length would need to be long enough to protect both mama's front and back. The indented center will fit closely to her neck.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”