Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sewing Machines a good one?

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
quiltingangel

Re: Sewing Machines a good one?

Post by quiltingangel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:37 am

I also have to say the Janome is my favorite. I have 2 Janomes. My son who is a quilter also favors the Janome. But I agree that you have to try out several and than purchase the one that will meet your needs.

cjb0706

Post by cjb0706 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:10 am

Hello I'm on a fixed income due to a tragic accident, so my money doesn't take me very far. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has a good machine that they would like to sell. Also, if I could make payments that would be a huge bonus. I really would love a machine that sews,quilts,embroiders if possible. But anything will due. I love to quilt, and am so upset that I havent had the means to buy a nice machine. Charity anyone?

tnwaltz1

Post by tnwaltz1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:17 am

Want to add a little info about sewing machines. I recently purchased another Brother machine. I started to look around at different brands, after having 2 Brothers in my sewing life so far. Went to a dealer and spotted a model the Laura Ashley Special edition . Wow--what a machine. That's what I got. I love to quilt. I am not an expert by far but this machine is great. Cuts the thread, the needle threader is great and it has the automatic presser foot feature.
ItI so full of options. I have a Brother with embroidery options, straight line only but never tried what I can do now. Working on a pre-quilted pattern using may of the decorative designs I have. It is great. It does so much more other sewing that I haven't tried to do yet. Anyway, I have had good luck with the 2 other Brother machines, which are still with me and still running fine. It comes down to what you want to do and obiously what is in your price range. Good luck on your search.

Quilt2Caryl

Post by Quilt2Caryl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:28 pm

I have a Husqvarna and really like it other than the bobbin winder doesn't wind thread evenly. I have seen others with it and they have the same problem. I work with it, and love it other than that! It does sew through layers of fabric well and stitches are good. My sister got a very inexpensive Janome and it is great. I have thought about getting one to teach my grandaughters to sew on or for a spare. I think it was aroud $200

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:18 am

Sew machine purchase suggestion!!

I have purchased numerous make/model of sew machine,the store bought machines didn't last. And repairing them isn't worthwhile, but if money is your budget, you can repay them with your sewing right away, so no great financial losss. Used work great on a small budget.

White/Elna, quilt machine served it's purpose, but again the durability was iffy...Pfaff a heavier machine, sturdy, and durable. Lasted!

I prefer to stay away from digital due to costly repairs when they breakdown. The regular are lower price and one can repair the machines themselves with time and practice.

Last thing you would want, is middle of your Xmas gift sewing, it breaks and cost you time. that's my quirk for the day!

chili

Post by chili » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:09 pm

even though you have bought your machine, i am liking the different views on machines :O)
i have had 2 elnas and then switched to husqvarna - to me, it was the biggest mistake of my life :O( and customer service was non existent.... i am still using it as i cannot afford a different machine, but at times, i just don't even want to sew.....
when i win the lottery!!! ;O) i will most likely go back to elna! :O)
it is really nice to read all the reviews of what people like and don't like! i find it helpful
thanx

farkie

Post by farkie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:07 am

Hi... I just jioned this community, and this is my first post. Yay!

Ok, I have only been sewing/quilting for a little over a year. My partner got me my first machine for Christmas several years ago (it was at my request, but it still stayed in the box for a couple of years before I found a store to help me figure it out). He did some research, and bought a Kenmore.

I have to say, I LOVE this machine! I have yet to come across anything in my projects that it can't do. Someone who worked at a quilting store told me that any Kenmore made in the last 5 years or so is made by the Janome people... don't know if it's true, but I can't say enough good things about this one. I don't THINK it was that expensive, either.

I take classes at a local sewing store (the one that showed me how to use my machine), and someone who recently joined our classes also just bought a Kenmore (newer model) and so far, loves it.

Again, we're new to the sewing world, but I have found my machine to be pretty sturdy and VERY functional.

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:59 am

farkie, I too have a Kenmore machine...and have had 3 of them! For the money, they are good machines. And, yes, a salesman told me the same thing about the Janome! He said that the case is made by Kenmore, but the "guts" is made by Janome.

My machines are a little noisy, but as long as I take it in for a good cleaning about once a year at Sears, it is fine!

Welcome to the forum!

Joanne

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:27 pm

I myself absolutely LOVE my Janome! Hope you can test drive a few of them before you buy!

alonelymom

Post by alonelymom » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:06 pm

I know you bought a machine already, but I bought my first ever sewing machine 6 months ago. Its a brother, all digital but everything can be done manually. I made both my girls basic curtains over the summer. I wanted to learn to sew and quilt, so I took my first quilting class (at Joann's Fabric) Nov 9th, 5 days after I had back surgery. In class we use vikings and I personally like my Brother machine so much better! I'm a disabled single mother, so I can't afford 300+ for a sewing machine. I am very happy with my machine. I made my youngest daughter a twin size quilt and she's super happy with it. Only thing I will say about my machine, is only 1 sewing shop around me sells items for my machine and they are expenvise!! I did catch a sale they had new years days, but the walking foot for my model was still $90! I'm still not sure what it does and if I really need it.
Anyways, get a machine you like and works within YOUR budget, not someone elses.
Katherine

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”