Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Flannel Backing

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
Quilted

Flannel Backing

Post by Quilted » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:29 pm

I'm making my 2nd lap quilt and would like some advise on using a flannel backing in lieu of cotton????

Ittybittygma

Re: Flannel Backing

Post by Ittybittygma » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:12 pm

The wonderful feel of today's flannel fabrics is so diff from the flannel we remember from our childhood. It comes in such pretty colors and designs too.

I have a friend who made her entire quilt of flannel, front and back. It was so cozy and warm and didn't look any diff until you felt the fabric. She was cutting and sewing it into half sq triangles and it was so soft looking and pretty.

I have an older quilt that had a flannel backing and I love it. The flannel has outlasted the fabric on the front from too many washings so now belongs to the dog. She snuggles down in that quilt every night and won't go to bed without it.

So I say, use flannel and enjoy. It is easy to sew and such a nice selection these days. May God bless you as you quilt for others. Hugs, Shirley Mae ps I don't recognize your name. Are you new on here? If so, welcome. glad you could join us.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:50 pm

I am with Shirley Mae - flannel is wonderful to use as a back or on the top - it is very cozy and warm - one suggestion is that you clean out your bobbin area very frequently as the flannel gives off fuzz - otherwise it is great to use!

Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:29 pm

ShirleyMae said it all... I also made a flannel quilt... flannel on both sides and DH loves it...

wish I had someone tell me to clean out my machine... it did get a little linty.. but the flannel is so worth it...

make sure to post a picture, I would love to see yours, here's mine

[/img]
Psalm 91

Ittybittygma

Post by Ittybittygma » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:32 pm

Chriss, what a pretty quilt. Makes me feel warmer just to look at it. Thanks for sharing a pic.

Quilted, just go for it and use flannel. Guaranteed warm and cozy for the backing. I forgot about having to clean out the machine now and then but worth the trouble for the end results.

Have fun quilting. Hugs, Shirley Mae

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:04 am

First, welcome to the forum, if you are new!
I've made a couple of all flannel "rag" quilts and I love them...they use 5/8 in. seams.
I want to use a flannel for my next lap quilt. And the cleaning is so important!!

Joanne

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:28 am

I back 90% of my quilts and table runners with flannel. I want them to be cozy and used.

JUst be sure to wash and dry the flannel before you use it, as it will shrink a bit and it also helps get some of the lint out of it.

If it gives me a little trouble with wrinkling and not laying right while getting it ready for quilting, I iron some iron on batting (very thin) to it and that helps stabilize it for quilting. Like Shirley Mae said, there is some beautiful flannel out there now. And try not to buy the less expensive, as it will give you problems.

Let us know, and good luck!

Linda
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:24 am

When you use flannel for backing do you have the nap going up and down or crosswise?

I have done the up and down but am not sure what is best.

Thanks and happy stitching!

northbound

Post by northbound » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:11 am

Should piecing be done with 1/4 or 1/2 inch seams? Don't know where I got the idea that 1/2 is better.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:12 am

I used 1/4 inch seams..
Psalm 91

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”