Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Double Sided Quilt

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
MDQuilta

Re: Double Sided Quilt

Post by MDQuilta » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:38 am

Bonnie Hunter---quilt guru----sometimes cuts fabric into 10 inch blocks. She pieces these together to use as a backing. I did that for Egg Money Quilts and it was fantastic. I used up some stash that I was not really in love with any more. I presed the seams open to reduce bulk.

She has a website if you goggle her name.

Iloveit

Post by Iloveit » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:35 am

Go to hgtv.com , rith now there is a topic about two sided quilt.
(Select Simply Quilts in the crafts topic)
Bye

northbound

Post by northbound » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:23 am

I was able to get Sharon Pederson's book "Reversible Quilts: Two at a Time" from the local library. She uses the method Joanne described. I got it because I wanted to learn more about the quilt-as-you-go method and she explains it well and has pictures. There's also some interesting variations of what blocks you can do with this method and how to make double-sided binding. Here's a link to her web site that shows a quilt with a different block on each side that (I think) is also QAYG:

http://windsweptmedia.ca/sharonquilts/i ... index.html
(click on "Workshops")

A local quilt shop hangs some quilts up so you can see both sides, and a simple pieced back with either stippling or quilted to enhance the design on the quilt front (what MDQuilta described) is surprisingly cool. Might want to try a table runner to see what you'd like.

Sharon C.

mdelhougne

Post by mdelhougne » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:55 am

I am working on a memory quilt for my daughter. I pieced both the front and back and they are different. I did not think the quilting on the front would make sense on the back, so I decided to quilt them separately and then join them together. So I found the thinnest, lightest batting I could find (it is a cotton bamboo blend)and quilted the top onto batting (machine quilted), then quilted the back separately onto an additional layer of batting(again by machine). Now I am joining the front and backs together by hand. So, from the front I am going through the front and both layers of batting and then coming back out to the front. I am using invisible thread for this and staying along the seams. I will do the same from the back, going through the back and both layers of batting. I figure If I do this every 2-3 inches on both the front and the back it will secure it together and allow for two separate quilted designs on front and back. Anyone else try something like this?

Carrie-Waltz

Post by Carrie-Waltz » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:32 pm

belletaine wrote:
Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:49 pm
I am thinking of making a double sided quilt, i.e. each side would be a quilt and there would be no backing as the backing would be the other quilt. Is this a NO NO? Am I asking for problems?? I was thinking of machine stipple for the quilting on it. Help, ideas, thoughts, hints. Thank You!!!
Can you post your result? I've never tried it, now I'm interested!
Life is brighter, if you have a hobby!

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”