Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Size of crib quilts vs. blankies

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
scrapquilter48

Re: Size of crib quilts vs. blankies

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:29 am

I usually, make it simple when shopping for baby quilt ask 1metre in your language 1 yard.. No calculation required if need it to be bigger I add wide borders to back and front..

Mimi914

Post by Mimi914 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:00 am

I keep my crib size in line so that I don't have to piece the backing...so about 40-41 inches to allow for the the excess needed. Also, I found I can save a little on batting for the "blankie" size by buying a full-size bed batting and cutting it into quarters!

kittyskids

Post by kittyskids » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:04 am

I make flannel blankets square, so about 40x40. But I make my quilts about 45x60, so the baby grows into them, not out of them.

CarolKE

Post by CarolKE » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:48 pm

I prefer to make baby quilts square as it is easier to swaddle a babe with a square. I also make pinning blankets from 2 layers of flannel since the ones available for purchase are oblong and skimpy.

MaryGoRound

Post by MaryGoRound » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:03 am

I know these are older posts but some may refer back to them. I recently made a crib quilt and at the time I felt like it was just wide enough. However, I realized that after it was quilted, washed, and dried it shrunk ALMOST 4 inches!!! Please take that into consideration before you consider your quilt finished. After all of that work I felt it was a little skimpy. Yes, I used quality fabric.

Also, I like to wash with color catchers before I gift a quilt. With a baby quilt I double rinse it to make sure it is ready to use.

Happy stitching.

MaryGo

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”