Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

batting and backing ? for Lover's Knot

desertrose05

batting and backing ? for Lover's Knot

Post by desertrose05 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:05 am

I am making a king size Lover's Knot quilt. If I use the 108" wide fabric for the backing how many yards would I need? The pattern book calls for 14 1/2 yards, but I assume that is for 44" fabric.
What suggestions would you have for the batting? I want to use high loft as the person I am making this for likes "poofy" quilts. Most king size batting is 120" x 120", but the pattern book says to use 132" x 134". Should I buy a second batting and have it attached to the king size, if so what size should the second batting be?

desertrose05

Re: batting and backing ? for Lover's Knot

Post by desertrose05 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:04 pm

I ended up buying 8 yards of 108" wide fabric backing. I bought a king size and a full size batting. I made the quilt just as the book suggested except I made the 3rd border 1" less than stated in the book. It ended up over 12 feet wide. I just received a call from the quilter telling me that it is too wide to fit on her 12 foot wide machine. I am probably going to have to remove my third border which is a little disappointing. Just thought others would like to be forwarned if you make the king size accornding to the directions in the book it is HUGE.

Return to “Lover's Knot Quilt”