Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Cutting the 2.5 inch strips

Wazzy

Cutting the 2.5 inch strips

Post by Wazzy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:27 am

I'm making the Double Irish Chain using the Quilt in a Day second edition book.
I square the fabric cut end before I do anything. Then to begin cutting the different 2.5 inch strips from the 3 fabrics, I fold the fabric with opposite sides matching the selvages. I then fold the fabric again matching the fold with the selvages so that I now have a length of fabric that is 4 layers thick. This is what it looks like is being done in the book, except for the squaring, which is done after the fabric is folded into 4th.
What you end up with are strips of 2.5 inch wide fabric with a selvege at both ends.
Is this correct?
My next question is on page 52 step #2 where it says, "Stack 2.5 inch HALF STRIPS. Line up cut edges across top."
Do I take the strips from above and cut them in half so that each strip is half the width of the original fabric width with one short edge made up of the selvege and the opposite short edge a cut edge?
Or can I leave the strips the full length of the original width of the fabric with both selveges?
I hope I've explained this clearly enough for anyone to follow. If not please let me know and I'll try to clear it up more.

SallyC

Re: Cutting the 2.5 inch strips

Post by SallyC » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:06 am

Yes, it means to cut the strips in half so you have selvege on one end and a cut end on the other for both. Do let us know how it goes--I love Irish Chain.

quiltsofun

Post by quiltsofun » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:31 am

I have used this pattern to make quite a few quilts. I absolutely LOVE this pattern - from the scrappy to the all one color tones. The instructions are so easy your brain tries to over think some of the steps, but just follow the steps. When you're done you won't believe it was as simple as it was. El did a great job of wording and processing the steps. Hope you enjoy this pattern as much as I do!!!

kaili

Post by kaili » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:17 pm

This is my first attempt at making a quilt. I purchased the Irish Chain book and bought fabric at a store in Lancaster PA. The young Amish girl figured out how much fabric I would need using the chart for Single Irish Chain with Easy border. My problem cutting the strips. How long is a strip? This project may take me a year if I cant even figure that out! I understand they are 3 3/4" but how long? I am missing something. Can anyone help me at least get started cutting? Thanks in advance.
Sorry this is not only my first quilt but it is my first post and I posted in the wrong place....

gramajojo

Post by gramajojo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:41 am

Kalli, you strips are selvage to selvage, usually 42" - 44"

Jo.

auntmarie4

Post by auntmarie4 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:47 am

I have both the book and DVD and still made a big mistake in cutting
the strips out, so don't feel bad Kaili.

Return to “Irish Chain in a Day”