Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Boston Commons Quilt

crazyq

Boston Commons Quilt

Post by crazyq » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:09 am

I cannot believe I started this quilt several years ago, got the first part put together and was interupted. Saw the DVD, got it and will get back to it as soon as I get moved into my new house.

Ann74

Re: Boston Commons Quilt

Post by Ann74 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:36 am

I'm working on this quilt right now. I'm at the spot where you fold the first set of strips in half and cut the blocks. No matter how careful I was in getting everything straight on grain, and sewing the strips together, I just cannot bring myself to cut those strips to make the squares. I am so afraid that it won't work out and I won't have enough blocks. My quilt is queen size and I paid a lot of money for the fabric, which incidentally, happened to be various widths because it wasn't all from one company. I just sent for the video so I suppose I will need to wait now until it gets here. This quilt is intended to be for my grandson who will graduate from H.S. this June. I'm sure someone has made this quilt and will be kind enough to give me some advice. I have searched the web for instructions, but didn't find any yet. I WILL appreciate any help I can get.

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Fri May 06, 2011 3:53 am

Ann74 - If you have the QIAD Boston Commons book, you have the best instructions! Eleanor writes such good step-by-step instructions that you should be able to finish the quilt without any problems. It does not matter that the fabrics were different widths. This often happens, and if you purchased the amount of fabric indicated in the pattern, you will have enough! Keep at it and you will have the top ready to be quilted!!

Good luck, and keep stitching!!

Ann74

Post by Ann74 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:28 am

I have the quilt top completed up to and including the seminole border. I am now working on mitering the corners of the seminole sides and top and bottom. I was extremely careful in following the directions and have my quarter inch seams as accurate as I can possible make them, however, I really had a problem with the points of the seminole. How does Eleanor always get everything to match up and join the way they should without ever ripping out (should I say unsewing) and then resewing? I am watching the video and reading the book. I think this quilt is difficult and I have made many of her quilts. I agree, her patterns are written very easy to understand, but the mitering kind of got skipped over, so I'm checking out my other Eleanor Burns books--I have almost all of them. It certainly is a beautiful quilt and I liked making it--just had to rip A LOT.

Ann74

Post by Ann74 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:09 am

Well, it is done-----Thank Heaven!!
I love the finished product and would post it on here, but I don't do pictures because I do not know how to do them. It came out just beautiful and I'm very pleased. It is for my grandson's high school graduation. I think I am going to quilt it myself--by hand. I plan to do it exactly as it is pictured in the book. I sent for the stencil and can't wait to do it--basting the layers is next.

elaine851

Post by elaine851 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:23 am

The queen size takes 2/3 yds each of 9 fabrics, how much of each would be needed for the king?

Return to “Boston Common Quilt”