Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Orion's Star Quilt

QuiltNewcomer

Orion's Star Quilt

Post by QuiltNewcomer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:28 pm

I need help adjusting the measurements for a block. I am trying to make a quilt from the Quilt in a Day book, Orion's Star Quilt. In the book it calls for the center of the star to be a 4 inch square, cut to 4 1/2 inches. The points and corners are based on those measurements. My problem is I have some embroidered blocks I want to use for the center, but the embroidery design is 5 inches so I need to make the center block a 6 inch square so I don't cut or sew over the design. I don't know how to convert the rest of the measurements so I can make the stars. Can you please help me to learn how to figure this out? I will be extremely grateful. By the way, this is my first time on the site and I entered this question under A Star For All Seasons because I couldn't find a heading for Orion's Star Quilt. If I have a similar situation in the future what would you prefer me to do? Again, thank you and I look forward to your response.

gmaann

Re: Orion's Star Quilt

Post by gmaann » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:23 pm

QuiltNewcomer,

Welcome to the Quilt in a Day forum!! We are always glad to have new people, and someone usually has an answer for your questions! And you are so right that the Orion's Star quilt is not on this list. I will send a message to QIAD and ask them to add it.

Also, do you see the little envelope next to your name above. You can click that envelope next to anyone's name and send a Personal Message (PM) to anyone who posts. And up above, in the bar above the discussions you will see 'Messages'. There is a message for you if you see a number in the parentheses. Just click on Messages and your message will come up.

I will try to help you. First, tell me what size you will CUT the center square. Will you cut a 6" square or do you want it to finish at 6" (and cut at 6 1/2")?

The Flying Geese that you make for the star points need to finish at the same size your center square finishes. The QIAD Flying Geese rulers are all labeled by the FINISHED sizes. It will be easiest for you if you want your center square to finish at 6", as there is a ruler for 3" x 6" finished 'geese'. But we can probably figure out how to do it in another size if that is what you want.

I think I can give you the correct sizes for cuts if you let me know what size your center square will be when it is sewn into the block.

Ann/gmaann

Return to “A Star For All Seasons”