Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Volcano Center Point - requesting help, please!

Peachygh

Volcano Center Point - requesting help, please!

Post by Peachygh » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:48 am

My mother, a beginning quilter, recently attended a "Sassy Stars" quilt workshop, but has since begged off of the Sassy Stars quilt and sent her kit to me with her one completed block. I find the directions in "Radiant Star Quilts" very easy to follow with one exception. I am having "volcano syndrome"...the center of my blocks are puffing up (the seams are flat and windmilling nicely. I am wondering if my issue is coming from inaccurate trimming of the quarters (p. 85 & 86 steps #10 - the directions aren't clear - am I aiming for a perfect 45* right triangle?). Also, can you explain to me what my mother is talking about when she mentions the "squiggle" matching up? She said the instructor used a sticky note with an angle drawn on to match up one set of points??? I'm not having any problems with matching seams anywhere throughout the star...just that bubbling center. Any suggestions for deflating my ballooning center points would be greatly appreciated.
You can see my issues here: http://peachypages.blogspot.com/2012/04 ... stars.html

Thank you for all of your help!

Heather

FarmChick

Re: Volcano Center Point - requesting help, please!

Post by FarmChick » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:16 pm

The pictures on your blog look beautiful. I'm thinking they would "quilt down". The other thing that might cause that is if you are stretching the fabric just the tiniest bit... Your blocks look wonderful..

xteacher

Post by xteacher » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:57 am

Heather, some of the problem is probably due to the bias edges stretching. You have to be extremely careful handling it. I had a little bit of puff, so I used some Best Press and steam. That seemed to help shrink the stretched bias.

The other question I don't understand.

marynlee123

Post by marynlee123 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:28 am

When I am making stars, I make all seams go in the same direction just like Eleanor Burns suggests, (I feel I have grown up with her quilt-wise because I remember her from I believe the late 70's) clip the three stitches on both sides of the center seams, and give it a little 'squiggle' to get the center flat and alleviate bulk. The match up could be the four seams coming together right on.

I know this is very late (by three years), but I just went to your blog and so-o-o enjoyed it. You have so moved on, done great, and do beautiful work! It was uplifting and motivating. Thank you.

Return to “2nd Edition Radiant Star Quilts”